Please note: This week’s Progress Notes has been updated to include the two Johns Hopkins Medicine weekly Epic Inpatient and Ambulatory newsletters (see below).
2014 Upgrade Information for All Staff: Go Live Date is Sunday, April 12, from 2am – 5am
During this time, Epic will be in a view only mode during the downtime. All new admissions will need to have orders done on paper order forms and all H&Ps will need to be done on paper forms. These orders will be transcribed by the various departments (Diagnostic Imaging, Laboratory, Nursing, Pharmacy). The one order that will need to be done after 5am (or when the system comes back up) will be the ADMIT TO INPATIENT order.
- An AlertUs message will flash on every computer screen to warn users at 1:45 am to log off.
- After this AlertUs message is seen, orders are held in the system until downtime ends. Therefore STAT orders should follow a downtime process immediately.
- Users can use View–Only SRO (Supports Read-Only) – Epic is available in a read only mode as of the point in time the system went to downtime. Reports are available.
- No new entries can be made into the system during the downtime – no new orders, documentation, ADT and new results will not display.
- Follow Department’s downtime procedures and use downtime forms.
- Epic will be available to Registration prior to everyone else so any new admissions and ADT information can be entered first.
- An AlertUs message will flash when the system is back up for everyone.
- After the system returns, follow Department’s downtime procedure and enter orders, documentation into Epic.
- Clarity reports will not be available until after 1 pm.
Upgrade “Sneak Peek”
Click here to see some of the changes that the new version will contain!
The Epic 2014 Upgrade materials are available in your JHH MyLearning Plan now. All Epic users are required to read any pertinent tip sheets and newsletters regarding 2014 Upgrade changes.
These are the steps that you will need to follow to complete your training:
- In Internet Explorer go to my.jhmi.edu.
- Navigate to Education – MyLearning – My Plan and click on Epic Project | 2014 Upgrade.
- Scroll down and click on Epic Project | 2014 Upgrade | E-Learning to launch the upgrade training resources.
- Once you are on the main upgrade webpage, click on your application i.e. Inpatient Physician or Anesthesia
- Within each application you will see a series of tip sheets that are hyperlinked to review.
- You can View and/ or Print the pertinent upgrade training material.
- Once you complete the training, click on the green hyperlink at the top of the page that says Click here to return to the eLearning to acknowledge the completion of your training or close the current window and return to the E-Learning resource and acknowledge that you have completed the training.
- You will see this window, click on Accept.
- Upgrade training completion reports will be sent to Michelle Christ, Physician Liaison, weekly.
- If you access the link outside of LMS, you won’t get credit for completing the Upgrade training.
Please call or email Michelle Christ at 301-896-3678 or email@example.com with any questions
System Lockdown During Upgrade
The Epic production environment will be upgraded to Epic 2014 using a transparent upgrade approach, meaning the majority of the upgrade processes will occur in the background, transparent to the user. When the upgrade is complete, Epic will be shut down just long enough to cut over to the upgraded version. This approach minimizes downtime for the end user, but requires that the production environment be locked down while the transparent upgrade is underway. Epic will be locked down from April 6 through April 12 to accommodate the transparent upgrade. During this lockdown period, Epic will operate as usual, except that certain user customization features will not be available. For example, these are some features that will not be available during the lockdown period:
Creating a new filter or editing an existing filter in Chart Review or most work queues, including patient work queues, billing work queues, referral work queues, and schedule orders work queues.
- Creating new SmartLinks or SmartPhrases, or editing existing SmartLinks or SmartPhrases.
- Personalizing dashboards.
- Creating, editing, or sharing NoteWriter macros.
- Creating or editing QuickActions.
These features will be reinstated at the completion of the upgrade on April 12. Please call or email Michelle Christ at 301-896-3678 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Epic One Page Reference Sheets by Specialty: Click below for detailed information for your specialty.
JHM Epic Newsletters
JHM Weekly Inpatient Newsletter: Click here.
JHM Weekly Ambulatory Newsletter: Click here.
If you are reading this directly from The Hub, please click “Continue Reading” for the rest of this week’s edition of Progress Notes, including information on new Suburban Hospital physicians and PA’s and Grand Rounds.